Happy New Year! We’re looking forward to longer days and the eventual warming trend. The Holidays were busy and good. Enjoyed seeing the family.
I did slip in some work on the boat here and there. Save for the starboard outwale, I’m right where I had hoped to be. She is ready for some finishing and really looking like a boat! A sweet one at that. The thought of that first sail drives me onward.
I’ll list the tasks:
- a 3/16″ x 1/4″ (6mm) strip of ash was epoxied after trimming the shear.
- out wale edges were rounded over with a 1/4″ rounding bit on the jury rigged router table. Thankfully the plunge router stayed still. It has “adjusted” itself before to terrible results. None this time. I will further shape the top outer edge once boat is upright. That edge is about 1/2″ round, but has some rolling bevel to it. Hard to judge it upside down.
- outwales were scarfed with a step after some practice in pine. I used a combination of hand saw, hand plane, file, and belt sander for final fit. Got good results sneaking up on the fit.
- out wale ends were fitted to stems with small bevel and belt sander finesse.
- I epoxied the outwales on and then could reach the small 1/2″ rubstrake I added. A first attempt to nail the strake on was a fail. The hammer just bounced, even after drilling pilot holes. Aesthetically I did continue the holes every 12″ for accent. The solution was to overreach the out wale with a clamp and 2x material every 8″. Worked fine.
|Ash shear trim to hide and protect shear ply edge.|
|Long shot of outwale clamping and stained shear plank.|
|Fitted outwale at bow|
|Clamping and nails. Nails failed really.|
|Port aft quarter.|
|Looking like a boat.|