As I’ve said, it is good to have other pieces of the boat to offer relief when certain tasks lose some interest. After getting some work done early this morning, I went to inspect the latest plank glue up. They were solid, but I lacked motivation to take them on. Then a look at the rudder blank proved to egg me on. I took the blank with paper template spray mounted on to the Skil bandsaw. What a piece of junk. Even a new blade couldn’t move through the 1″ stock. Just not enough horsepower. The Bosch scroll saw wins again.
|Blank and template.|
Templates for a NACA 007 foil proved a right fit for the slab thickness of 31/32″. These were paper outlines glued to 1/4″ ply, saw cut and filed to the outline. Loads of jack planing approximated the shape well enough for a controlled sanding of 80 grit in the belt sander. The result: a tapered foil that is ready for final finish sanding and glass. I’m very happy with this. What a transformation. She is now a princess.
The day is gorgeous, 68 degrees, sunny and breezy. Being outdoors for a couple hours made for a nice break. Don’t think sailing wasn’t contemplated.
Now back to designing mundane buildings. Pay is still better!
|Foil template testing.|
|Near done shaping. Some final sanding needed.|
|Another shot with mineral spirit rub.|