Cape Falcon’s F1 Kayak (part III)

DAY 9: (4 hrs)

  • cut, milled, shaped and glued 1/2″ x 1/2″ stringer to gunnel. Dowelled every 18″ for added security.
  • made form for cockpit coaming.
  • cut coaming material from oak. The circumference is +/-7′ so a longer steam box is needed. This one I’ll make from blue foam sitting around.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

DAY 10: (5 hrs)

  • made a foam steam box for larger cockpit coaming pieces.
  • put “boat soup” (equal parts pine tar, turpentine and tung oil) on boat.
  • steamed oak strips for coaming. The sharp forward nose of the coaming kept breaking. Will add a block for this and tie coaming into it.
  • used ringed bronze boat nails to hold rim together.
  • ordered ballistic nylon and 2 part urethane coating.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

DAY 11: (5 hrs)

  • decided to add some floor slats. I wish I had added them in the few SOF fuselage kayaks we’ve built. I don’t want to stretch or distort the skin once applied. This may be particularly a problem where your heels contact the hull. These were thinner than the ribs, but spanning only 6″ between ribs. Lashed in, the floors should provide additional rigidity.
  • also pulled the coaming, drilled skin threading holes every 2″, sanded and coated it.
  • the fabric and goo have arrived. Must wait for the boat soup to dry. Should have added some japan drier. By the time we can get back to the project, all should be dry.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

DAY 12: (4 hrs)

  • decided to remove the outer most floor slats. They will telegraph and distort the bottom, not by much, but I don’t want to increase drag.
  • installed the foot pegs. These are the best of the 3 I’ve now used: Harmony Sidelock Footbrace System. I’ve through bolted them after checking their location by sitting in the kayak. I like the ease at which they can be adjusted and the rounded edges of the pegs themselves. I have also used both Sea-lect and Attwood adjustable pegs, but I prefer the Harmony so far.
  • drilled all the holes in the gunnels for leather tie downs and stem grab holds.
  • added a plastic deck hook under the foredeck for bungee cords to hold a bilge pump, water bottle, thermos or whatever.
  • put on the last coat of “soup”. This time using Japan Drier in the mix. That gets the drying moving.
  • Next up: covering and coating.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Here is a walk-around video:


Total hours thus far: 66 hrs. One more kayak post and we’re done.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Cape Falcon’s F1 Kayak (part III)

  1. That looks like a beautiful job! I’ll look forward to seeing it skinned. I really wanted to be building this boat too but I don’t have the CAD skills to put all that together. I was really hoping he’d get the plans released this month but it’s not looking good. I don’t want to wing it because I’ll get just one chance to get it right.

    1. Well, thanks. She is skinned and ready for the “goo”. Hope to get to it in the next week or so. Brian told he he was really close to releasing the plans. Good luck-

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s